Friday, May 15, 2009

Memoir Writing...

So...one day last month, I was sitting and thinking about my life and all of it's hangups and disappointments but also some of the more happier times. It was then that I've started to think about my years spent at my beloved HBCU - Xavier University. For the last 5 years, I've resided in New Orleans and attended this school and feel like through those years, I have alot of experience and alot of things to write about. I've decided to write a memoir about my life including interpersonal relationships. I'm so passionate about this that I've already started to brainstorm. Now that I am coming upon completion of my degree, I've now added this project to my list of goals and won't stop until it's finished. My story may not mean the world to everyone. But I know that SOMEONE out there will relate to it and enjoy it. And hopefully, every person who reads it will take away something from it. That's my ultimate goal.


I am a novice writer and I've already found FOUR things that a Memoir writer need in order to be a writers via Writing Time

1. Stubbornness. To be mule-like in your stubbornness; not absorbing one logical thing your family or friends tell you about the impossibility of becoming a writer (hours wasted, no way to make a living etc).

2. A passion for books and language to the point of addiction. You cannot live without reading. And your life isn’t real and filled with meaning unless it’s written down.

3. The ability to sit in a room all by yourself making up people or writing about yourself while the rest of the world is out there wearing real clothes and acting like grown-ups.

4. The courage to risk making a total fool of yourself on paper. (And always remember: no one else will know of your foolishness until you’re ready for them to read about it. And then most likely they’ll identify with it.)

I've already been born with three of these qualities.

1 comment:

Yan Tan said...

hey hunn just stopping by showing your blog some love...: )


**YANTAN**


COME STOP BY SOMETIME.. ;-P